Yesterday I was finally lucky enough to get an elk worthy enough to go on the wall. Anybody who knows me and my wife would know it is a constant battle for wall real-estate. But for some bizarre reason she gave me the ok to get it mounted and hang it in the great room next to the moose(thanks babe as if you had an option this time). The whole night was one that i will never forget. I was lucky enough to have my daughter Emma along for the ride as well as my 2 top notch guides Tyler and Lane Myers.
The hunt was on the Grass Valley CWMU above chalk creek ran by R&K outfitters. We drove up the road through the bottom, and just happened to drive right on to a herd of elk. The bull split and went the opposite way of the cows, so we knew he would come back eventually. As the bull was taking off I got a quick look at him and my mind was all over the place wondering if he was big enough for the first night. Our good friend daniel always says "don't pass on something the first day you would shoot on the last", but other quotes like Mr. Jim Shockeys you'll never shoot a giant if you don't pass on a good one had me torn. Well I decided that since I had Emma and my hunting buddies with me that if a shot presented itself I would take it. And just like somebody drew it up 5 minuets later the bull came right out of the trees were he went in and headed back in the direction the cows had went. My senior guide Lane was on his game because after 3 seconds of glassing him he as yelling he's a shooter, shoot him shoot him (he knew he was a keeper). It didn't take long to convince me and Tyler tells me he is 500 yards. Normally I wouldn't shoot 500 yards but we spent 4 hours earlier that ay shooting guns so we knew we were right on the money. So I take my first shot and knew it was a hit but the bull was still up so I shot again. Again a good hit , but he wouldn't go down. Finally the third shot hit him in the high shoulder and he was instantly down.
There was an unbelievable excitement that overtook us all followed by Tyler saying is he big enough. There was a moment of pause from all of us and then I said I hope so. I think he is an ok bull but we really have no clue what we have even shot. The ride on the ranger over to him was like christmas morning when you were 8 years old. My emotions were going crazy that i had shot a little bull on the first night. And then came the moment of truth as I walked up to the bull, and for the first time in my hunting career there was no ground shrinkage. he actually ended up being bigger than any of us had realized and we all stood over him in amazement. It was an awesome experience and I was very grateful o have two wonderful friends and my daughter there to experience it with me. This moment will stick with me forever, and only throws gas on the fire to get a monster bull some day. But I will take the one I got for now and be more than happy.
Here is a paragraph I stole off of Lane's email. Whether it was Karma or some thing else I really appreciate having he and Ty there and hope the rest of our season plays out the same way.
Amazing adventure for you and the hunting clan!! I'm happy that Miss Emma was okay with the whole thing!! You are truly a hunter and I am very proud of the man you have grown into!
ReplyDeleteGreat story to go along with the great elk! I too am amazed with Emma being OK with it. It's about time your house starts to look like the rest of ours. :) Now if I only had a Moose.
ReplyDelete